Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods will meet again in a new version of The Match later this spring.John Locher/Associated Press
The NFL draft over the weekend was the first semi-normal event the sports world has been able to watch and consume live in quite some time. And now for the first time since March, an actual event on the field—more specifically the course—is on the way.
Coming Soon to TNT: The Match II
For the first time since March, a live sporting event is finally within sight. Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson will run back their match, this time joined by NFL legends Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. While we don’t yet know specifically when in May or where it will take place, here’s what we do know about this competition:
- This Champions for Charity edition will raise money for coronavirus relief funds across the country.
- The Match’s first champion Mickelson will team with Brady, while Woods and Manning will play together.
- TNT will broadcast the event, with additional coverage on Bleacher Report
- Tiger and Peyton are early favorites, per FanDuel.
The Last Dance Continues
Sunday at 9 p.m. (all times Eastern) on ESPN
This week the phenomenon that is ESPN’s The Last Dance crosses its halfway point with Episodes 5 and 6. After setting a record for the network’s most-viewed documentary in its first week (more than 6 million viewers), Sunday’s episodes highlighted Dennis Rodman’s contributions and impact on the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls as well as the team’s rivalry with the Bad Boys of the Detroit Pistons. The upcoming episodes this Sunday will focus on the 1992 Dream Team and Kobe Bryant’s first games against Michael Jordan.
With The Last Dance bringing in record ratings on ESPN, Jordan is using his revenue to make a significant charitable donation.
Classic NBA Finals Game 5s
Wednesday night on ESPN
Relive two of the most comprehensive series wins in recent NBA history with the final games of the 2004 Pistons’ and 2014 Spurs’ title runs over stars like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James:
- 2004 Los Angeles Lakers at Detroit Pistons, 7 p.m.
- 2014 Miami Heat at San Antonio Spurs, 9:30 p.m.
Game of Zones Final Season Premiere
Thursday on B/R app, YouTube
The seventh and final season of Bleacher Report’s Game of Zones begins Thursday. The four-episode season will help give basketball fans something to follow while the season remains on hold. Pause the trailer below at the 0:22 mark to remember what Giannis looks like in an antler helmet.
#NBATogether with Ernie Johnson Jr.
Monday and Wednesday at 7 p.m. @NBA on Twitter
Dallas Mavericks legend Dirk Nowitzki and Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr joined Ernie Johnson on #NBATogether last week, discussing championships, mentors and Michael Jordan. Watch new interviews with new guests such as rookie superstar Zion Williamson on Monday and NBA icon Jerry West on Wednesday.
Best of B/R Live
Featured Event of the Day
- Monday: Classic Champions League 2018 – Roma vs. Barcelona Leg 2
- Tuesday: Classic Champions League 2017 – Manchester City vs. Monaco
- Wednesday: Classic Champions League 2019 – Juventus vs. Ajax Leg 2
- Thursday: Classic Champions League 2012 – Celtic vs. Barcelona
- Friday: Classic NLL 2018 West Division Final – Calgary Roughnecks vs. Saskatchewan Rush
- Saturday: Champions League Classic Matches Episode 3, featuring Barcelona vs. Arsenal 2010, Dinamo Zagreb vs. Lyon 2012, and Bayern Munich vs. Real Madrid 2014
- Sunday: AEW Dynamite Replays
B/R Live on IG Live
World Armwrestling League superstar Devon Larratt will take your questions Tuesday at 1 p.m. on our Instagram handle @BRLive
NFL Draft Recap
- The biggest surprise: Rob Gronkowski came out of retirement and was traded to Tampa Bay for a fourth-round pick
- Every quarterback picked: Joe Burrow No. 1 overall to Bengals, Tua Tagovailoa No. 5 to Dolphins, Justin Herbert No. 6 to Chargers, Jordan Love No. 26 to Packers (yes, really), Jalen Hurts in Round 2 to Eagles, Jacob Eason in Round 4 to Colts, Jake Fromm in Round 5 to Bills
- The most consistent team: The Panthers used all seven of their picks on defensive players, the first time that has been done in the common draft era.
For grades on every pick from every round, go here.
Our favorite tweet of draft weekend:
Catch Up on the Headlines
MLB disciplines Red Sox for sign-stealing
While manager Alex Cora was suspended for a year, Boston escaped the larger punishments that befell the Houston Astros.
Legendary coach retires
Muffet McGraw stepped down after a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame career at Notre Dame that included two national titles, nine Final Fours and three Naismith Coach of the Year Awards. Read more
Sports Internet, Quarantined
Tennis legends on Instagram
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are the two greatest tennis players of all time, and the longtime rivals have developed into close friends. The pair surprised fans everywhere last week with a conversation on Instagram Live, where fellow legend Andy Murray also joined in.
The players discuss their career matchups and plans for the future, while fathers Federer and Murray joked with Rafa about the early wake-up calls he’s missing since he doesn’t yet have kids of his own. Watch the full video here.
Slow motion: Liverpool’s Dejan Lovren 1, His Kid 0
Everyone has different parenting techniques.
Feedback or suggestions on our newsletter? Let us know what you think at firstname.lastname@example.org.